Bureau of Child Care Licensing
NOTE: All first-time and fee applications require an Arizona Statement of Citizenship and Alien Status.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where can I find information about licensing a child care facility?
- Where can I find information about becoming certified as a child care group home?
- How do I apply for a child care center license?
- How do I apply for a child care group home certificate?
- How do I re-license a child care facility?
- How do I re-certify a child care group home?
- How do I pay for a renewal with a credit card?
- Do I need to report changes in a business organization?
- Do I need to report a change of director?
- How do I make a change to the certification of a child care group home?
- How do I modify a child care center license (e.g., change hours of operation, types of services provided)?
These inquiry packets include general information about the licensing process for anyone interested in providing child care for 5 or more children either in a center-based program or in their own home.
Applying for a Child Care License or Certificate
In order to provide child care for 5 or more children in Arizona, you must apply for a license with the Department of Health Services. The packets below are based on the location and type of setting in which the child care will take place: a commercial building, a public school campus or a residential home. If your program will be located on a public school campus, providing care for children ages 3-14, please complete the Public School Building Information Form in the application packet. All other center applicants must complete the Child Care Center Physical Plant Evaluation.
The packets must be completed and turned in prior to an initial inspection. Once the Department determines that the applicant is in substantial compliance with regulatory requirements, the Department will issue an initial license.
- Child Care Center Initial License Application
- Child Care Group Home Initial Certificate Application
- back to top
Renewing a Child Care License or Certificate
Pursuant to SB1315, any facility currently licensed MUST submit the required licensure fee before the anniversary date of the existing license/certificate. The anniversary date is the first day of the month following the expiration date currently printed on the license/certificate. If you have any questions, please call your local licensing office.
- Child Care Center Licensure Fee Application
- Child Care Group Home Licensure Fee Application
- Installment Payment Request Form
- Credit Card Payment Form & Instructions
- back to top
Modifying an Existing Child Care License or Certificate
It is the responsibility of the licensed child care provider to notify the Department and request approval for any intended changes to the structure, the program or the business entity of a licensed program. In most cases, approval from the Department must be obtained prior to implementation of the requested changes. Please call your local licensing office if you have questions.
- Child Care Group Home Addition or Modification
- Child Care Center Modification Request
- Child Care Center Modification Request for Public Schools
- Child Care Center Fee Modification Form
- Change of Responsible Parties Notification Form
- Change of Director Notification Form
- back to top
Note: Information provided in PDF files, unless otherwise indicated.