Division of Licensing Services

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • Show All
  • Hide All
  • Print All

Click on a question below to see the answer.

Where can I get an initial application?

For an Initial Application, from the list provided, select an HCI, then select Initial Application.

What are the licensing fees?

For fees related to Medical Facilities, Long-Term Care Facilities, and Residential Facilities. From the list provided, select an HCI, then select the Remittance Form. The Remittance Form will indicate the required licensing fees.

Who signs an initial application?

According to Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 36-422(B) the application must be signed as follows:

  • If the applicant is an individual, the owner of the HCI;
  • If the applicant is a partnership or corporation, two of the partners or corporate officers; or
  • If the applicant is a governmental unit, the head of the governmental unit.

What is a chief administrative officer?

"Chief administrative officer" means the individual implementing a governing authority’s direction in a health care institution.

What does owner mean?

"Owner" means a person who appoints, elects, or otherwise designates a health care institution’s governing authority.

What does "governing authority" mean?

"Governing Authority" means that the individual, agency, group or corporation, appointed, elected or otherwise designated, in which the ultimate responsibility and authority for the conduct of the health care institution are vested.

When is the application for approval of architectural plans required?

  • With an Initial Application for an HCI according to A.R.S. § 36-421 and Arizona Administrative Code (A.A.C.) R9-10-105(A)(5).
  • When a substantial modification to an HCI is requested, according to A.A.C. R9-10-101(178):
    • An addition or deletion of an inpatient bed or a change in the use of one or more of the inpatient beds;
    • A change in a health care institution’s licensed capacity;
    • A change in the physical plant, including facilities or equipment, that costs more than $300,000; or
    • A change in a health care institution that affects compliance with applicable physical plant codes and standards incorporated by reference in A.A.C. R9-1-412.

Note: The following HCI classes and sub-classes require an architectural review prior to licensing: Hospitals, Nursing Care Institutions, Hospices (inpatient), Outpatient Surgical Centers, Adult Day Health Care Facilities, Assisted Living Centers, Recovery Care Centers, and Outpatient Treatment Centers.

What are the required documents for architectural review?

The required documents are listed in A.A.C. R9-10-104 and in the Application for Construction or Modification of a Health Care Institution. A.A.C. R9-10-109 provides related information.

Can I request a preliminary conference with ADHS architects?

The ADHS architects are available to consult with you prior to completion of your architectural drawings, including applicable technical specifications.

What if there is agricultural land near the facility?

Specific HCIs that are located near agricultural land shall meet requirements in A.A.C. R9-10-105(A).

Why does the renewal license application require my mailing address and not the address or location of the HCI?

The Department receives the address or location of an HCI on the initial license application. If an HCI that does not provide medical, nursing, or health-related services on the premises changes their address, the licensee is required to notify the Department in writing at least 30 calendar day before the effective date of the change in address (R9-10-109(A)). If an HCI that provides medical, nursing, health-related, or behavioral health services on the premises changes their address or location, the governing authority (licensee) is required to submit an initial license application (R9-10-109(D)).