ADHS will be performing maintenance on the Medical Marijuana systems starting on Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 10 PM expected to be completed by Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4 AM. During this time, Medical Marijuana Online Registry Applications will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience this maintenance downtime may cause. If the process is completed earlier, the systems will be made available at an earlier time.
Arizona Diabetes Program
Are You at Risk?
Simple tests can help determine a person's risk for diabetes. About one third of people with diabetes in Arizona do not know that they have diabetes. About 25% are at high risk for developing diabetes and have pre-diabetes.
Learn more about your risk factor by taking one of the following simple tests:
- Use the interactive test on the right side of this page to learn your risk for Type 2 diabetes. When finished, learn more about your score.
- Take the online American Diabetes Association Risk Test.
- Learn more about your risk from the National Diabetes Education Program.
At least 57 million Americans over age 20 have pre-diabetes including 1.2 million adults in Arizona. Before people develop type 2 diabetes, they usually have "pre-diabetes" - that means their blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be called diabetes. People with pre-diabetes are more likely to develop diabetes within 10 years and they are more likely to have a heart attack or stroke./p>
Diabetes prevention is proven, possible, and powerful. Studies show that people at high risk for diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of the disease by losing 5–7% of their weight, if they are overweight, (that's 10 to 14 pounds for a 200-pound person). Here are two keys to success:
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity five days a week.
- Eat a variety of foods that are low in fat and reduce the number of calories consumed per day.*
* See Small Steps for Eating Healthy Foods starting on page 18 for examples of foods that are lower in fat and calories.