Due to technical difficulties, all Medical Marijuana online applications will be unavailable until 8AM, Tuesday, March 11th. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Division of Behavioral Health Services
The Arizona Department of Health Services/Division of Behavioral Health Services (ADHS/DBHS) has achieved several meaningful goals in regards to planning, designing, and implementing diverse initiatives to promote the inclusion of cultural values and traditions at all levels of care provided statewide. In the past, ADHS/DBHS has devoted its efforts in the development of a comprehensive Cultural Competency program involving state contractors as well as other stakeholders, community members, services providers, and community based organizations. ADHS/DBHS focused on leading initiatives that have had an important impact on the provision of Behavioral Health services.
Through methods of data collection and community collaboration, ADHS/DBHS has determined that many disparities and/or gaps still exist with regard to tradition, cultural believes, diverse cultures, and race/ ethnicity being included as vital elements in quality of care and effectiveness of services provided. Therefore, ADHS/DBHS has determined that it is time to focus efforts on data driven outcomes and apply new initiatives and programs to provide a comprehensive range of inclusive and high quality services for all the underserved/underrepresented populations identified within Arizona’s geographical regions.
The resources found on this page are meant to provide T/RBHAs, behavioral health providers, and behavioral health recipients with access to:
- ADHS/DBHS Cultural Competency Initiatives;
- Resources to assist in the delivery of culturally competent behavioral health services; and
- Research on issues related to cultural competency.
Additional annual reports can be found on our Annual Reports page.
ADHS/DBHS Cultural Competency Initiatives
- Cultural Competency Narrative Fiscal Year 2010–2011
- DBHS Cultural Competency Plan 2010–2011 WORK PLAN Requirements Guide
- DBHS Cultural Competency Plan 2009–2011 WORK PLAN Initiatives
- Cultural Competency Narrative Fiscal Year 2009-2010
- DBHS Cultural Competency Plan 2009–2010 WORK PLAN Requirements Guide
- DBHS Cultural Competency Plan 2009–2010 WORK PLAN Initiatives
Cultural Competency Resources
- DBHS Diversity Fact Sheet [MS Publisher]
- DBHS English/Spanish Glossary of Behavioral Health Terms
- Arizona Civil Rights and Advocacy Organizations
- Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Healthcare Standards
- The Office of Minority Health, Cultural Competence
- The National Center for Cultural Competence, Georgetown University
- Translated Agency Signage Templates (English, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic and Navajo)
- English/Spanish Medical Encyclopedia
- Organizational Self Assessment of Cultural Competency
Cultural Competency Research
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Cultural and Linguistic Competency
- Struggle to Communicate: Medical Interpretation in Arizona, St. Luke's Health Initiatives, 2004
- Meeting the Mental Health Needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives, Spero M. Manson, 2004
- Compendium of Cultural Competence Initiatives in Health Care, The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 2003
- Cultural Competence in Health Care: Emerging Frameworks and Practical Approaches, The Commonwealth Fund, 2002
- Cultural Competency Standards in Managed Care Mental Health Settings: Four Underrepresented/Underserved Racial Ethnic Groups, 2001
- Cultural Competence Works: Using Cultural Competence to Improve the Quality of Health Care for Diverse Populations and Add Value to Managed Care Arrangements, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001
- Culture, Race and Ethnicity, A Supplement to Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General, 1999
Cultural Competency Reports
- Annual Diversity Report FY2008 – July 2007 to June 2008
- Diversity Penetration Report from July to December 2008
- Cultural Competence Effectiveness Report for 2008-2009 Fiscal Year Plan Overview
- Diversity Report - July 2006 to June 2007
- Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing Survey of Providers – October 2007 to May 2008