Office of Newborn Screening
Newborn Screening Advisory Committee
The Newborn Screening Advisory Committee is established by statute ARS § 36-694 to provide recommendations and advice to the Department of Health Services regarding tests that should be included in the Newborn Screening panel.
In 2006 the committee recommended the 29 disorders, including hearing loss, of the core panel of the Uniform Screening Panel from the HHS Secretary's Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children.
Any recommendation of a test to be added to the panel must be accompanied by a cost-benefit analysis.
The committee is chaired by the Director of the Department of Health Services and meets annually.
The Director appoints the members of the committee to include:
- seven physicians representing the medical specialties of endocrinology, pediatrics, neonatology, family practice, otology and obstetrics;
- a neonatal nurse practitioner;
- an audiologist;
- a representative of an agency that provides services under part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
- at least one parent of a child with a hearing loss or a congenital disorder;
- a representative from the insurance industry familiar with health care reimbursement issues;
- the Director of the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) or the director's designee; and
- a representative of the hospital or health care industry.
- Current Advisory Committee Member List (12/2013)
- 09/24/2014 Meeting Notice and Agenda
- 12/09/2013 Meeting Packet
Agenda and information pertaining to topics discussed during Advisory Committee meeting.
- 12/09/2013 Meeting Audio (1 hour 18 minutes)
- 02/25/13 Meeting Agenda
- 2012 Meeting Notice, Agenda and NBS Year in Review
- Video Recording of Entire Meeting
- Pulse Oximetry Screening in the Symptomatic Newborn: Science, Politics and Media
PowerPoint presentation by Ashish B. Shah MD, MBA
- Newborn Screening for SCID in a High-Risk Population
PowerPoint by Dr. Diana Hu, Chief Clinical Consultant, Tuba City IHS (SCID Expert) Presented by Dr. Roy Teramoto, Medical Director, Phoenix Indian Health Services
- Chest Compression-Only CPR by Lay Rescuers and Survival From Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest
- 2009 Meeting Notice & Agenda
Note: Information provided in PDF files.