Due to technical difficulties, all Medical Marijuana online applications will be unavailable until 8AM, Tuesday, March 11th. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Environmental Laboratory Licensure
Applicability & Exemptions
Monday March 24th is World TB Day. Check out our new lab page with info about testing for tuberculosis.
What is a public health laboratory? Watch this animated video to learn how public health laboratories protect the public against diseases and other health hazards.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 36-495.01(A), on or before July 1, 1991, the department shall license environmental laboratories engaged in compliance testing. Upon application for an environmental laboratory license, the department shall issue the license if, after investigation, the department determines that the application conforms with the standards established by the department.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 36-495.01(D), unless exempted by A.R.S. § 36-495.02, no person may operate or maintain an environmental laboratory without a license issued by the department pursuant to this chapter.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 36-495.02(A), laboratories are exempt for licensure by the department if they are:
- Certified or designated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency as the laboratory which provides analytical services to this state required for the delegation of primary enforcement responsibility under a federal law or regulation administered by that agency.
- Operated by the Arizona Department of Agriculture or the Radiation Regulatory Agency.
- Performing only compliance testing of parameters which require analysis at the time of sample collection as long as the testing methodologies employed are approved by the director of the department of health services or the department of environmental quality.
- Licensed to perform those analyses for which it is licensed for or certified by another agency of this state.
- Accredited by the national voluntary laboratory accreditation program administered by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and approved by the department.