Due to scheduled maintenance by the Arizona Department of Administration to the state datacenter, azdhs.gov and related services will be unavailable from 10:00 p.m. Friday, November 15, until 10:00 a.m. Saturday, November 16. Thank you for your patience.
Public Health Central Cancer Registry Reporting
The Arizona Public Health Cancer Registry will be ready for Meaningful Use Stage 2 for the reporting period starting January 1, 2014.
Cancer reporting is a new objective for Stage 2 Meaningful Use and pertains to eligible providers. The measure is the capability to identify and report cancer cases to a State cancer registry, except where prohibited, and in accordance with applicable law and practice. Successful ongoing submission from Certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) Technology to a cancer registry for the entire EHR reporting period is required. Providers must meet Stage 1 meaningful use criteria before advancing to Stage 2.
The Arizona Department of Health Services is planning to implement cancer registry for Meaningful Use Stage 2 as a menu objective for Eligible Professionals (EP).
The Stage 2, meaningful use objective, measure, and exclusion criteria for cancer registry are:
Capability to identify and report cancer cases to a public health central cancer registry, except where prohibited, and in accordance with applicable law and practice.
Successful ongoing submission of cancer case information from certified electronic health record technology (CEHRT) to a public health central cancer registry for the entire EHR reporting period.
Any EP that meets at least 1 of the following criteria may be excluded from this objective:
- The EP does not diagnose or directly treat cancer;
- The EP operates in a jurisdiction for which no public health agency (PHA) is capable of receiving electronic cancer case information in the specific standards required for CEHRT at the beginning of their EHR reporting period;
- The EP operates in a jurisdiction where no PHA provides information timely on capability to receive electronic cancer case information; or
- The EP operates in a jurisdiction for which no public health agency that is capable of receiving electronic cancer case information in the specific standards required for CEHRT at the beginning of their EHR reporting period can enroll additional EPs.
Steps for Providers
- Register intent to attest to one or more public health objectives within 60 days of the start of your reporting period.
- You will be contacted with an invitation to start the onboarding process.
- You must respond within 30 days.
- You will be provided documentation throughout the process for reporting purposes.
- Provider Checklist for Achieving Meaningful Use Stage 2 for Cancer Reporting
- Report Cancer Cases: Measure 5
- Updates on Meaningful Use and more information from the CDC
- Implementation Guide for Healthcare Provider Reporting to Central Cancer Registries, August 2012
- Cancer Reporting Clarification Document for EHR Technology Certification, December 2012
For additional information on the cancer registry and meaningful use, please contact the Cancer Registry team.
Note: Files are PDF format unless otherwise stated.