ADHS will be performing maintenance on the Medical Marijuana systems starting on Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 10 PM expected to be completed by Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4 AM. During this time, Medical Marijuana Online Registry Applications will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience this maintenance downtime may cause. If the process is completed earlier, the systems will be made available at an earlier time.
Medical Electronic Disease Surveillance Intelligence System (MEDSIS)
MEDSIS is a HIPAA-compliant system and was developed in partnership with local health agencies to enhance disease surveillance and detection of potential outbreaks. Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) from commercial, clinical, and hospital laboratories is available through daily transmission to MEDSIS, decreasing the burden of paper reporting and allowing for an efficient method of disseminating laboratory test and result information to local health departments.
The design and functionality of MEDSIS meet the federal requirements of the Public Health Information Network (PHIN), the public health logical data model, and the National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NEDSS). MEDSIS is integrated into the Health Services Portal (HSP) and thus, can take advantage of HSP's secure e-mail communications, secure data messaging and translation services, role-based public health directory, and failover capacities.
Functionalities of MEDSIS include:
- Entry/Reporting of cases directly into system by County and Tribal health departments, health care providers, and Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS)
- Immediate jurisdiction-specific viewing of reported or submitted cases
- Ability to share a view or transfer cases to another jurisdiction
- Ability to submit cases directly to ADHS
- Functionality to manage cases under investigation, including addition of disease specific risk information
- Functionality to manage outbreak investigations
- Ability to link cases and contacts
- Search for cases or patients
- Generation of reports
- Download extracts of jurisdiction-specific data for further analysis
The site has restricted access and structural security. The application is written in .Net, using an array of redundant SQL servers, integrated data repository and a storage area network. With Microsoft Internet Explorer browser 8 or higher, user ID and password, and signed user agreements granting various levels of access enable external and internal partners to use the system.