Office of Vital Records
Apply For a Stillbirth or Fetal Death Certificate
- On January 1, 2015 the Arizona Department of Health Services Office of Vital Records Lobby at 1818 W. Adams Phoenix, AZ 85007 closed the public lobby. Mail-in services will still be available.
- El 1 de enero de 2015 la recepción de la Oficina del Registro Civil del Departamento de Servicios de Salud de Arizona, ubicada en el 1818 W. Adams, Phoenix , AZ 85007, cerró cerrada al público. Los servicios por correo seguirán estando disponibles.
Apply in Person
The Arizona Department of Health Services Office of Vital Records no longer provides same day walk in customer service. You may apply for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate by mail. If you would like same day walk in customer service please visit your local county health department Office of Vital Records.
Apply by mail
To apply by mail you must submit the following:
- A completed Application for Certified Copy of Death Certificate
- A copy of your valid government-issued picture identification which bears your signature. Note: If you are not the parent named on the certificate, you must also bring proof of eligibility.
- Appropriate fee, according to the fee schedule. Acceptable payment methods are: cashier's checks, money orders, Visa, or MasterCard. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH. Cashier's checks and money orders must be for the exact amount and made payable to Office of Vital Records. If you pay by credit/debit card, you must include the full card number and expiration date on your application.
Note: An incomplete application will delay the processing of your request.
Note: The average processing time for applications submitted through the mail is 15 to 20 business days from the date the application is received by Vital Records.
Expedited Service (Applies to Fetal Death Certificates Only)
The Arizona Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. We do not endorse any other internet ordering service. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, or by phone. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa®.
In addition to the cost of the certificate, the following charges will be billed to your credit card:
|Processing Charge Per Order||$10.00|
|Express Courier 2-3 Day Delivery||$14.00|
|Express Courier Standard Overnight (by 4 p.m.)||$16.00|
|Express Courier Priority Overnight (by 10:30 a.m.)||$18.00|
|Optional UPS Alternate Delivery Location (added to above express rates if chosen by consumer)||$5.00|
VitalChek will NOT be able to check the status of your order until at least 24 hours after your request was submitted. State Vital Records and the County Office locations do not have access to orders processed through VitalChek and therefore cannot check the status of pending orders.