Managing for Excellence Program
Arizona State Health Assessment & Improvement Plan
- Give us your feedback on flagship goals and priorities by taking the survey introduced during the September 17 live broadcast. You can also sign up for a workgroup while taking the survey.
- Check out the Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP) Timeline.
- Interested in receiving emails about AzHIP? Sign up for our mailing list.
To better understand the health status of Arizona's population, the Arizona Department of Health Services partnered with each of the county health departments to conduct a Community Health Assessment. This assessment included the collection and analysis of data from the community and information from a variety of sources. The result of this collaborative process is the State Health Assessment (SHA).
The Community Health Assessments (CHAs) were used to develop the State Health Assessment (SHA) and the SHA will be used as the basis for developing the Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP). More than 10,000 people across the state were engaged in the development of the CHAs and the SHA through focus groups, surveys, meetings and forums. As a result, 15 public health issues affecting Arizonans were identified. Some of these emerged from the Community Health Assessments as top priorities for those communities, and some as broader, state-wide health concerns. The next step is to take the information learned from the SHA and develop an Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP).
As the process of developing the AzHIP begins, the first step is to prioritize the 15 leading public health issues so that efforts can be focused on creating the five year plan to address those top priorities. Once the priorities have been set, objectives will be defined for each health issue including assessing Arizona's capacity to address those issues. This is a framework for creating a plan to "move the needle" on the priority public health issues and to achieve desired health outcomes over the next five years.
The AzHIP will provide direction on how to improve the health of Arizonans in the next five years by aligning partnerships and resources to work collectively on shared health improvement goals and strategies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Show All
- Hide All
- Print All
Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the State Health Assessment (SHA) and Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP) using the links below:
Why is the State Health Assessment (SHA) report so important?
- The SHA report is used as a tool to comprehensively assess the state of public health in Arizona. We looked at population demographics, health data, environment, compared rural/urban settings, and how AZ is doing compared to the nation.
- It is a report that analyzes health and population data from public data banks, and combines it with input from community members statewide.
- It is a tool that can be used to drive public policy, community programs, and decision making around how resources are allocated.
- It helps paint the picture of how we can begin to prioritize health issues based on community will and the data.
How did ADHS develop the SHA report?
- Together with our 15 counties we talked to over 10,000 people in communities across the state to hear what health issues people were most concerned about.
- Each of the 15 counties did a health assessment which ADHS used as a basis for the SHA.
- 15 leading public health issues were identified.
- Health issues are summarized in the report according to the impact on lives of Arizonans, and our ability to make a difference.
- Communities that have the greatest challenges accessing preventive health care and achieving positive health outcomes have been identified in the report.
What will help move us towards a healthier Arizona?
- Get involved in your community's health—let's work together to achieve a vision of health and wellness for all Arizonans.
- Contact your local public health department to get involved.
Who is involved in the development of the Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP)?
The AzHIP Steering Committee is comprised of stakeholders from across Arizona, representing a broad cross-section of public health partners.
How can I get involved in the development of the Arizona Health Improvement Plan?
We welcome your participation in development of the Arizona Health Improvement Plan (AzHIP). As the plan moves forward, we will be hosting additional live broadcasts updating the progress, incorporating question and answer sessions, and forming workgroups to contribute to the plan. If you would like to receive AzHIP updates, sign up for our email list.