Influenza Prevention Measures
The best way to prevent the influenza virus is by getting an influenza vaccination each year. Other methods you can take to help prevent influenza include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve and immediately throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick in your home. Keep 6 feet of distance between yourself and others outside of your home.
- Stay at home when you are sick.
Check out our Flu Vaccine Toolkit to Assist Businesses Prevent Flu at Work.
Influenza and COVID-19:
Both COVID-19 and influenza are contagious respiratory illnesses that share many of the same signs and symptoms. COVID-19 and influenza can result in severe illness and complications for older adults, people with certain underlying medical conditions, and pregnant women. At this time, there is currently not a vaccine for COVID-19, but there is one for influenza. Reduce yours and your loved ones’ risk of illness this influenza season by getting your flu shot today!
Learn more about COVID-19 on our website and follow our daily updates on the COVID-19 Dashboard.